Officials said Monday that shooters who slaughtered three people and injured four in a busy shopping mall in Denmark randomly selected victims.
A 22-year-old archer (an unidentified Danish) who fired with a rifle on Sunday at a Fields shopping center in Copenhagen killed a 17-year-old girl and boy, and a 47-year-old boy. Old Russian.
The other four were hospitalized in a critical but stable condition.
Authorities have largely ruled out that the attacks are related to terrorism.
Copenhagen Police Chief Soren Thomassen said, “In our investigation, the documents we examined, what we found, or the witness statements we got, this was a terrorist act. There is nothing that can prove that there is. ” Monday reporter.
Investigators have not identified what caused the attack. Meanwhile, witnesses said the “angry” shooters targeted shoppers while breaking the windows. A total of 30 people were injured, many desperately trying to get out of the mall.
The country’s last major mass shooting occurred in 2015, when two people were killed and six police officers were injured at the Cultural Center and Synagogue in Copenhagen.
A Danish man suspected of being on Sunday’s onslaught illegally obtained a rifle and another gun. Thomassen said he is also known to Danish mental health providers.
Thomassen previously described gunmen as “ethnic Dane.” This is usually used to represent white people.
The suspect appeared in a hearing in a packed court on Monday and was charged with four charges of attempted murder and attempted murder. The BBC reported that the suspect’s lawyer refused to enter into the plea that the judge ordered to be detained in a closed room.
According to the outlet, investigators have been watching videos of young men with weapons on social media since Sunday.
One teen said he saw people run out of cinema as the shots rang.
“I wasn’t sure where to get out because I didn’t know the mall well. I followed a large group to some sort of rooftop. Fortunately, I found an emergency exit,” said 13-year-old Isabella Hjertholm BBC. Told.
The suspect was detained about 13 minutes after the police were warned of the shooting, the BBC reported.
The shooting panicked shoppers and urged singer Harry Styles to cancel the show set for Sunday night in the Danish capital.
Some shoppers told the Danish media that they hid in bathrooms and storage closets as the turmoil unfolded, the BBC reported.
“Suddenly, I think I heard 10 shots. After that, I ran through the mall to the bathroom, where I gathered in a small bathroom of about 11 people,” said a woman identified as Isabelle. “It’s really hot and waiting, I’m really scared. It was a terrible experience.”
Meanwhile, Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen characterized Monday’s attack as “abnormally brutal” as millions of Danes celebrated over the weekend and watched closely for the start of the Tour de France on Friday.
“I think I rarely experience the sharp contrasts of yesterday,” Frederiksen told reporters, according to the New York Times. “In an instant, the party and joy stopped, and the worst happened to us.”
With post wire